Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Canadian Wind, oh so cold...

It all looked good on weather.com. High of 63 & Sunny.

In an attempt to maximize every last minute of playable golf weather, I patiently sat through morning traffic on the Ike today in order to make it out for a 9am tee time at Cantigny (Wheaton, IL).

Now let me backtrack a bit. I mentioned that it all looked good on weather.com. What I neglected to see or perhaps discredited altogether was the 15-20 mph wind out of the Northeast. For those that are not meteorologically inclined, a wind from the Northeast is one cold MOFO.

Coming down from our friendly Canadian jetstream, a Northeast wind tends to make play hard on the body and the course. The extremities tend to go numb, the golf club can vibrate on poorly hit shots and can sting the hands. And even though the wind is out of the Northeast, it still blows the ball in all sorts of directions.

Back to Cantigny, I stood like a shivering moron on the first tee and squeezed off a good shot, straight through the fairway and into some high grass. I was in my car and back on the Ike faster than a cop at a Krispy Kreme. I sat through traffic and finally made it back to my apartment. I came in from the cold and JP had made a pot of coffee.

I poured a cup. It never tasted so good.

And then it struck me. Golf season is all but over in this town.

3 Comentários:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you'll just have to find more restaurants to review or go to tucson where golf dominates...ann t mar

Goods said...

I was looking. Possibly a week from Tuesday, I'd come in for a 2-night spell. we'll talk.

Parisjasmal said...

My hubs really likes Cantigney (sp?) but yikes about the wind. I feel you.

Glad you are still able to fit in some golf!

There was an error in this gadget
The Editors of In Between 18 respect the rights of copyright owners everywhere. Unless otherwise noted, the images and/or linked content contained within the Blog are the property of their respective copyright owner(s) and are utilized only as a supplement to the posted written content contained within the Blog.

THANKS FOR COMING. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON

In Between 18 ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO