Monday, February 11, 2008

Take Me Back, Tina!

I couldn’t remember the last time I watched the Grammys. For me, the awards they’ve bestowed upon countless artists, from one-hit wonders to lasting legends, has seemed trite.

These are the same Grammys that awarded Best Heavy Metal Band to Jethro Tull and Ian Anderson’s edgy flute in 1989. In 1960, the Grammy for Album Of The Year went to Bob Newhart and his comedy release, “The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart.” He beat out Frank Sinatra’s “Nice ‘n Easy.”

But in all honesty, the highlight for me was watching the one and only Tina Turner, and all 69 beautiful years of her, rocking out to “Proud Mary” with Beyonce Knowles.

Surprising to say, Turner’s performance took me back to a time when I was a younger spud on the couch, circa 1988 watching Closet Classics on MTV (or was it that VH1 Classic Rock show with Peter Noone?) and the video for “Proud Mary" came on with Ike & Tina Turner’s R&B Revue in glorious polyester-vision.

It looked something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0

Mind you, the only version of “Proud Mary” that I was familiar with at the time was the version recorded by Creedence Clearwater Revival, which chugs along at a medium pace.

But the Ike & Tina version makes your blood race. It starts slow like a horse trot out of town. But then, almost with a kick to the belly to the horse, “Proud Mary” races to a gallop: the horns chime in, Tina and Turner-ettes give into a wild shimmy shake and Ike strums away on true & hard on his guitar.

At 14, I was completely mesmerized. My brother, Andy, certainly was too, as we both cheered on the revue, as if it were 1972 and we were watching it live for the first time.

I got out of my seat and started doing the swim, chug-a-lugging with my arms, screaming, “BIG WHEELS KEEP ON TURNING! PROUD MARY KEEP ON BURNING!” It was one of those moments for a bored, sloppy Jewish kid to show off his impersonation skills once again.

Oh, and Tina Turner made a slight impression on me, too.

The point is that it wouldn’t matter if it was 1972, 1988 or 2008. Tina Turner still looks and sounds great for being a shade under 70 and her performance last night at the Grammys put a smile on my face.

I only hope she can do the same when she’s 90 and I’m 53.

5 Comentários:

LURIE said...

Brilliant Goody! I was a late bloomer of the Ike and Tina version of Proud Mary - i jumped on the band wagon from the movie Whats Love Got To Do With It...

Lawerence Fishbourne - was amazing playing Ike!

anntmar said...

Way to go, Jeff...great writing...i was right there with you...

Dee dee goodee said...

Great review....I watched part of it and loved it....Tina is terrific and Beyonce is beautiful....loved it!!!!!

allie said...

100% agree!!! This was by far the best part of the Grammy's!! Wow...she is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

That is actually one of the few parts I saw. Didn't know she was that old. Way to go Tina!

But take it easy on my boy Ian & the Tull. I know people were pissed & thought that Metallica should've won. OK fine! So I'll admit that I don't really care for Crest Of A Knave very much. Maybe Metallica should've won. But Tull still rocks baby!!!

There was an error in this gadget
The Editors of In Between 18 respect the rights of copyright owners everywhere. Unless otherwise noted, the images and/or linked content contained within the Blog are the property of their respective copyright owner(s) and are utilized only as a supplement to the posted written content contained within the Blog.

THANKS FOR COMING. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON

In Between 18 ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO