Monday, March 10, 2008

37 putts and a sunburn later…

So there I was, 3 hours early for a 12:30pm tee time, which is fine except it gives a guy a lot to think about before he puts a peg under it and plays in his first golf tournament… ever.

A lot to think about.

Thunderstorms had drenched the course at Winston Trails (Lake Worth, FL) and there was a 2-club wind (see the weather link below, I crap you negative) to boot.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/pastweather/hourly/USFL0266?stn=0&when=030808)

But the clouds went away, the Floridian sun shone, the course dried out and above everything, I forgot to put on my sunscreen.

I practiced putts for about 30 minutes (off an on before my tee time) from about 10 feet in, using the wisdom of putting guru Cameron Strachan (http://www.cameronsgolfblog.com/) through every last putt:

Be as still as possible when reading the break. Body still, eyes still. Don’t linger too long over the putt. Just putt it, already. Count to ten. Breathe.

I easily missed 70% of the practice putts.

I carded an 88. Here’s the breakdown of putts on the day.

One-putts: 5
Two-putts: 9
Three-putts: 2
Four-putts: 2. That’s right. You putt everything in the hole in tournament play, no gimmes. You think 3-putts hurt? 4-putts make you want to bend your putter around your neck.

That’s a grand total of 37 putts on the day. All things considered, I liked my round. My putting, however, needs some improvement. If there is a ‘moral’ victory in all of this, it’s the fact that out of 18 holes, I made two-putts or less on 14 of them.

But I go back to the process and the routine that I have learned and used through Cameron Strachan and will hopefully evolve my putting struggles into an unconscious skill.

Once I do, a single-digit handicap will not be too far behind.

3 Comentários:

ANSAGO said...

Your problem is that your left hand is too strong. causing you to miss long and left.

Goods said...

actually, I left a lot of putts short of the hole. very weak. perhaps a weak left hand too.

Cameron Strachan said...

G'day Jeff,

I wish I could say that may putting system is an instant cure. Although it has been for many golfers, usually it takes 3 or 4 rounds to kick in. If you've been struggling for sometime it can take a while to break some of those bad habits that have become normal.

My advice is to stick to the process and trust that your natural talent will shine through. I used to have the putting yips so badly that seriously considered walking away from the game.

I still get nervous on some putts, but I'm better able to deal with the pressure and feel I have conquered those terrible yips.

I agree that 4 putting can turn you into a angry and frustrated golfer.

Stick with it...you'll discover the magic soon and putting becomes so much more fun.

Good golfing,

Cameron Strachan

There was an error in this gadget
The Editors of In Between 18 respect the rights of copyright owners everywhere. Unless otherwise noted, the images and/or linked content contained within the Blog are the property of their respective copyright owner(s) and are utilized only as a supplement to the posted written content contained within the Blog.

THANKS FOR COMING. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON

In Between 18 ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO