Friday, December 05, 2008

Even In Oz, Daly Is The Story

After shooting a 9-under at the Australian PGA Championship today, Jarrod Lyle has every reason to think he’s the story going into Saturday. But for some odd reason (one that I admittedly contribute to myself), the story here is still John Daly.

As one of 5 Americans playing in the tournament, Daly hardly made a dent in the leaderboard. He’s tied for 96th at 4-over par and will certainly miss the cut.

However, there’s a certain romanticism to it all; one that reeks of Jack Daniels and a country ballad over speakers from ’74 Chevy on cinder blocks. For the man that who once sang “All My Exes Wear Rolex-es” is also responsible for an increase in gate receipts. I am, by all accounts, a Daly fan. But I’m not sure what I’m a fan of. I’m torn between two John Daly’s. I’m a fan of the 2-time Majors winner who at any given time can be victorious, as much as I am a fan of the flawed, self-destructive Daly.

The Majors-winning Daly makes us realize how dreams really can come true and the flawed, drunken Daly makes us realize how those dreams can fade due to addiction and self-medication.

A likeable character, perhaps. But more like a walking public-service announcement.

1 Comentário:

Parisjasmal said...

"However, there’s a certain romanticism to it all; one that reeks of Jack Daniels and a country ballad over speakers from ’74 Chevy on cinder blocks. For the man that who once sang “All My Exes Wear Rolex-es”


If we were both not married to other people, I think I would want to marry you after that little piece of literature.
BRILL!!!!

Hooray for Daly romanticism and pot bellies.

There was an error in this gadget
The Editors of In Between 18 respect the rights of copyright owners everywhere. Unless otherwise noted, the images and/or linked content contained within the Blog are the property of their respective copyright owner(s) and are utilized only as a supplement to the posted written content contained within the Blog.

THANKS FOR COMING. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON

In Between 18 ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO